[Marxism] West Papua (was do you agree...)

Ggregray at aol.com Ggregray at aol.com
Thu Mar 30 05:27:17 MST 2006

Whist Louis, Brian and Mark have reacted a little dismissively towards Bob
Gould's post I think that they should give a more consideration to the issue of
West Papuan autonomy/independence from Indonesia.

This is far from being a remote issue or even one of mere historical
significance. it has recently been thrust to centre stage for marxists, certainly in
Australia but I would suggest internationally as well.. The Papuan people have
never accepted their incorporation into Indonesia which was justified on the
basis of the common previous Dutch colonial rule.In recent weeks the opposition
to Indonesian rule has erupted into clashes in which five Indonesian
police/militia were killed.

Diplomatic relations between Australia and Indonesia have been threatened
after 42 of 43 Papuan refugees who arrived "illegally" were granted temporary
protection visas by which they can stay in Australia for at least the next three
years.

It is not a speculation over Schleswig-Holstein type disputes between
capitalist powers but a duty of marxists to support the WestPapuan struggle for
national self-determination.

I will be at a rally in support of the asylum-seekers and of their national
struggle this Sunday at 12 noon in Sydney's Hyde Park. I don't think it is  an
adequate response to their struggle to put forward the Brian Shannon position
which I precis, I hope not unfairly, as whatever so long as imperialism keeps
hands -off.
Greg Adler