[Marxism] Stan Goff, Bill Fletcher and the 2-party system

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Wed Nov 1 09:20:24 MST 2006

Just to piggyback on Mark's response to Andrew, if we can agree that
both parties are bourgeois and that the ruling class as a whole has
shifted to the right since the end of the post-war boom, then it
doesn't take a great leap of logic to realize that NEITHER the
democrats nor the republicans will "improve the situation for people
around the world." I don't buy the argument that the Republicans are
qualitatively worse than the democrats. They support each other,
their policies may not always be identical but they are not mutually
contradictory and are often mutually sustaining (Clinton/Bush in Iraq
and domestic repression), they depend on many of the same billionaire
backers, etc. In EITHER case, it will take a mass social movement to
force the hand of whichever wing is in power at the moment, that's
what history has shown. The only thing you can argue is that the
Democrats are somehow more susceptible to such pressure. But, the
argument can be made that, in fact, the Democrats have used that
illusion and the good will of their star-struck base to get away with
legislation that the republicans could not impose. For example,
Clinton's welfare bill.

--
Michael Friedman
Doctoral Candidate in Ecology, Evolutionary Biology and Behavior

Molecular Systematics Laboratory
Department of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
79th Street at Central Park West