[Marxism] Democrat seeks victory by being much less than an alternative

Michael Hoover mhhoover at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 10:58:16 MST 2006

On 10/28/06, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
> >there is no question that Tennessee voters' verdict on November 7 will
> >send a loud and lasting message about the viability of black Democrats
> >in statewide (not to mention national) races. If Ford's ideological
> >acrobatics and boundless charm can't make white voters look past the
> >color of his skin, what will?
>
> Look, the whole point is that Ford is a Republican, not a Democrat,
> that is a Republican vintage 1962 or so when people like Nelson
> Rockefeller ran the party. Bill Clinton put it this way: "We're
> Eisenhower Republicans here. We stand for lower deficits, free trade,
> and the bond market. Isn't that great?"
>
> In Washington, Ford was eager to prove his conservative bona fides.
> In his new job, he sought out the conservative Southern Blue Dog
> Democratic caucus and became one of only three African-American
> members. In his 10 years in Congress, he voted for the federal
> marriage amendment banning gay marriage, for the Patriot Act and for
> the war in Iraq. He named Ronald Reagan as one of his historical
> heroes. Ann Coulter called him "one of my favorite Democrats."

bet coulter wouldn't have said that about rocky boy were he still
around and was a democrat (or a republican, for that matter)...

tv ad ran in tennessee last week focusing on ford as carouser, theme
throughout was on his salaciousness, final scene was blond-haired
white woman, arm lifted as if telephone was in hand, breathlessly
saying into the cameria 'give me a call sometime harold'...

old ways of the new south constantly show that the past just won't die...   mh