[Marxism] Ernesto Cardenal: "The Vatican goes to bed with the CIA"

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 2 16:36:29 MST 2006

South Florida Sun-Sentinel
October 29, 2006

Ernesto Cardenal: "The Vatican goes to bed with the CIA"
10/29/2006

A CubaNews translation. Edited by Walter Lippmann.
http://www.walterlippmann.com/docs990.html

Santiago de Chile, October 29 - Nicaraguan poet, priest and former
minister Ernesto Cardenal stated that the Vatican "goes to bed with
the CIA" and, since he considers the Church is his mother, he has a
right to call her into question "when it prostitutes herself".

Cardenal made this comment when asked in an interview published today
in Santiago's daily La Nación to compare his criticism at the Vatican
with Chilean poet Nicanor Parra's sarcastic remarks about religion.

"Parra's [statements] won't be as strong as mine, and I'm more
entitled to make them because it's my Church and my mother, and
I must throw up those actions to her whenever they happen.
When, for instance, the Vatican goes to bed with the CIA", he said.

Invited to Santiago on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the
Sociedad de Escritores de Chile (Chilean Writers Society) and the
XXVI International Book Fair, he also expressed his disappointment at
Sandinista leader Daniel Ortega, the favorite candidate to the
Nicaraguan presidency in the coming November 5, for his corruption.

"Those years (of the Sandinista revolution) were important; it was
joining a whole generous and heroic people in the transformation of a
country. U.S. interference was the revolution's undoing, but what's
worse is that Frente Sandinista went corrupted after that", he
sustained.

"Now there's "danielismo"[1], a party submitted to Daniel Ortega's
ironclad leadership. I as well as many, many others have resigned
from that party. And we intend to have that revolution back, but when
will that be we don't know," he added.

Cardenal was the Sandinista government's Minister of Culture, and
his image kneeling before Pope John Paul II, who was scolding him,
made news worldwide.

He recalled his first visit to Chile in 1971 and being with Salvador
Allende when the then Chilean president was informed that Pablo
Neruda had won the Nobel Prize in Literature.

"I've loved Chile since my Neruda-loving juvenile years, and I've
always carried Chile in my heart, just like Neruda did with Spain:
first with hope and euphoria, and then with its tragedy and
resurrection", he assured.

After praising Michelle Bachelet's election as president, he
highlighted that "much is expected of this Chile today, and we wish
there were more "Chiles like this one".   About the international
situation, he declared that U.S. president George W. Bush is "the
world's greatest terrorist".

"It's not only my opinion, but also that of Noam Chomsky and many
more Americans", he told La Nación.

"Bush used weapons of mass destruction in Iraq to fight nonexistent
weapons of mass destruction, not to mention the horrors of
Guantánamo, a Cuban piece of land where the U.S. has no right to be",
he stated.

  EFE

[1] After former Nicaraguan president and current Sandinista
candidate Daniel Ortega. (T.N.).