[Marxism] Election Discussions

Y. K. ykleftis at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 2 20:30:51 MST 2006

In these recent US election debates, I don't see much discussion on the role
of election theft. Propaganda is only one aspect of rightist electoral
dominance; various methods to deny voting rights are capped by private
ownership of unverifiable voting machines. Exit polls are also privately
held and there is no plan to produce independent or public exit polls, if I
understand the matter correctly. Even though the congressional elections are
probably more difficult to control than the presidential elections, the
Republicans have held a one-party state for nearly five years and see little
willingness on the part of their leadership to hand over power. I remain
highly skeptical of the ability of the US electoral system to simply count
the votes accurately, let alone any effect any changes in the state.

To further that skepticism, I doubt that US elections have much importance
at this point, unless there is substantial resistance to a rightist outcome,
and not only because of ruling class unanimity about the basic aims of US
capitalism. This alone doesn't mean fully developed fascism; after all,
capitalism steals elections at least as often as fascism, but it does mean
that in the absence of exit polling, organized monitoring, and determined
opposition, even a large Democratic turnout is probably irrelevant to the
"official" result. Recent fury in Mexico emerged in part because people
demanded a clean election, not simply their own candidate. I don't see
enough organized resistance in the US to a stolen election so I don't see
why the right should stop stealing them.

So, if the election will be / is stolen, then what should be / is the
position of US communists?

Y. Kleftis