[Marxism] News from Oaxaca -- where are the women?

Huibin Amelia Chew hachew at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 21:35:20 MST 2006

Especially since the murder of the NYC Indymedia reporter, I can't
help but notice how the bulk of communications we receive on Oaxaca
relate messages from male leadership, or individually name male
martyrs, focusing on males' actions.  But
many unnamed women have suffered physical violence in this struggle,
too.  And women are most of the rank and file teachers; even of not
individually recognized, they have played a role in maintaining the
barricades all along.  Now the conflict is increasingly masculinized.
Women as agents and leaders are being cut out of the drama -- what is
going on with them?

This pattern has repeated time and again -- for instance, accounts of
the MST in Brazil; how women's contributions were cut out of
mainstream and even progressive coverage of the Six Nations struggle
in Caledonia.  That reflects a bias in our left or progressive
organizing, our own reporting, as much as what is actually going on
there.  And I think it's a problem because it creates a bias in what
is considered historical, what is acknowledged as struggle -- plus, it
reinforces hierarchy within our movements.

It's not enough to just know in the abstract that they are
participating -- the agency of individual women is denied if we do not
seek and hear their voices, and consider how adding their voices
changes our assumptions about struggle.

Please see below for a few resources on women & the struggle in Oaxaca.

-Amee