[Marxism] 2 shows about SNL

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 3 14:28:41 MST 2006

Network TV is beginning to adapt to the Internet. At:
http://www.nbc.com/Video/, you can see the latest episodes of some of NBC's
marquee shows in their entirety and practically commercial-free. I was
drawn there to see "Studio 60", a show based on Saturday Night Live, as is
"30 Rock", which I watched on the tube for the first time on Wednesday. "30
Rock" is a lame attempt at comedy that I only put up with because I am
doing some research on SNL for a blog article inspired by some of Dennis
Perrin's recent entries on SNL and comedy in general. I was a good friend
of Chevy Chase, who some of you might remember from the early days of SNL.
In its time, it was what the Jon Stewart is today. I want to dig into the
subject of why it crapped out.

As most of you know by now, I am not a big fan of commercial TV. Except for
a handful of shows that I have written about here, I don't watch much
television except out of the corner of my eye while I am reading a book or
magazine. That being said, "Studio 60" is exceptionally well written and
well acted and must-see TV. Unlike "30 Rock," is not played for laughs at
all and is really a penetrating look at the hypocrisy of network TV. In the
latest episode that you can view online, Eli Wallach plays a WWII veteran
who lost his job as a comedy writer during the witch-hunt. This is really
excellent television that fortunately can be viewed anywhere in the world
as long as you have a high-speed connection.

--

www.marxmail.org