[Marxism] Torture films

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 3 17:25:09 MST 2006

My wife and I are big horror movie fans. Generally speaking the only
time I use my AMC/Loew's pass is to see some gory flick with her so
she can get her mind off her dissertation. I imagine that some of you
might be chuckling to yourselves over our film preferences since she
was regarded as an even bigger horror than me on mailing lists when
she had time for them.

About a month ago I went to see the prequel to Texas Chainsaw
Massacre with her and walked out feeling nothing but disgust. I
couldn't put my finger on it, but The Cranky Critic (one of my
favorites) has hit the nail on the head with this kind of flick:

http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/saw3.html

Saw III
rating: four bombs

Quite obviously, horror films didn't just pop up out of nowhere in
the last six years, but if there's an axiom about movies that is
mostly true and interesting, it's that films (and particular types of
films that get made over and over again within a certain time period)
are representative of their era. Welcome to George Bush's America and
the "Saw" series.

With the revelations of abuse at Abu Ghraib, the Patriot Act, and the
recent legislation passed by Congress essentially obliterating the
right of Habeas Corpus, the "Saw" series makes sense in its cultural
context. Without getting all political about it, simply consider what
the "Saw" series is about: average people being pulled off the
street, then tried, sentenced and tortured without the benefit of any
of the rights accorded American citizens.

There are two ways to look at these films. One can analyze them as
true horror films meant to scare people and incorporate a shared fear
into a popular entertainment. The other way to look at them, and I
fear the much more legitimate way, is as a form of entertainment that
reflects cultural values. In the case of "Saw III" that leads to the
arresting realization that torture is now apparently considered
entertaining. Torture is entertainment. Torture is amusing. In fact,
it's most amusing when it's somebody else getting tortured. There is
a definite ironic interpretation to the "Saw" series. People watch
because it reinforces the notion that torture is something that
happens to other people and that those people deserve it. I'd be
willing to bet that if some network aired the highlights of
interrogation footage from Abu Ghraib on a weekly basis, it would be
the smash hit of the television season.

I'm sure there's some logic and some link between this film and the
ones preceding it, but frankly, I couldn't remember much. I do
remember that Jigsaw (Tobin Bell) was sick, so we find him in this
third installment on his death bed. His assistant, Amanda (Shawnee
Smith) has kidnapped a doctor, Lynn (Bahar Soomekh), strapped an
explosive device around her neck, and demands she operate on Jigsaw.
This goes on while a grieving father, Jeff (Angus Macfadyen), runs a
gauntlet of torture that has him trying to decide whether or not to
let people live or die. All the people played a role in the death of
his young son. Jeff has raised the ire of Jigsaw for spending the
time after his son's death demanding and/or seeking vengeance and
wallowing in grief. You'd think that Jigsaw would have better things
to do with his time than torture fathers who've lost their children
in tragic fashion.

"Saw III" really is quite representative of the world in which we
live: repetitive, gory and unimaginative, with a morality that is
defined by one man. Live according to his sense of right and wrong or
suffer the consequences.