[Marxism] Notes on David Brion Davis' review

gregory meyerson gmeyerson at triad.rr.com
Sat Nov 4 05:33:10 MST 2006

hey rakesh:

I mostly agree with what you say.  weren't the irish sent to the
caribbean during cromwellian conquest slaves, basically?  allen also
discusses the scottish salt miners, also enslaved.

one might try to save the "essential differences" thesis by arguing
that they were not white.  but this is just epicycles.

I do have one question for you:  allen's main point in volume one for
the social construction of "race,'  thus the invention of the white
race, is closely tied to his arguments around what he calls the "irish
mirror."  and the point of this analysis is to take the parallel
between white supremacy, thus anti black racism in continental
plantation colonies, and "religio-racial oppression" in Ireland very
seriously.  on surface, you would then have a disagreement with allen,
since presumably you would not want to extend the term "racism" to the
irish case.

at any rate, I think most of the differences between you and allen or
you and me are terminological.  still, allen wants to define racism
primarily as a relation of subordination--racial oppression, whatever
various peoples might think of each other-- whereas you seem to lean
more on the specific ideological--pseudoscientific--mechanism of
subordination.