[Marxism] Slavery and Race [was: Notes on David Brion Davis'review]

gregory meyerson gmeyerson at triad.rr.com
Sat Nov 4 10:19:22 MST 2006

Mark:

I don't think I disagree with anything you say (it seems you think so).
  when I spoke of "white identity, " I didn't have lots of time to
indicate the difference between a class analysis of "white identity"
and "social construction" and the liberal analysis of the same idea.

they are very different.  that multiracial working coalitions of the
sort you mention are a perennial threat was one reason, in fact the
main reason, for the invention of the white race.

whether "whiteness" can continue to do the ideological work it has done
in the past is now a key question.  I tend to think that bourgeois
multiculturalism will have to do the work that "whiteness" did so well
for so long for the ruling class.  for example, if there is to be some
kind of hegemonic project around anti immigration (while access to
cheap labor is preserved thru organizations like EWIC--essential worker
immigrant coalition), it better be multicultural or else it won't work
for our rulers.