[Marxism] Slavery and Race [was: Notes on David Brion Davis'review]

gregory meyerson gmeyerson at triad.rr.com
Sat Nov 4 13:04:16 MST 2006

they go together in the u.s (negro race and white race).

the unmarked character of whiteness--dukakis as presidential
candidate--itself has a history though.  when the discourse circled
around white man's burden, it was not unmarked.  in the u.s. at some
point in the twentieth century--probably the fifties--whiteness and
middle class became synonyms.  that synonym is now breaking up: though
I have heard some people refer to a multicultural middle class in terms
of "honorary whites." personally, I think such talk is reductionist,
leaving out the specificity of american, bourgeois multiculturalism
(whose ideological centrality is perfectly compatible with growing
wealth gaps between whites and blacks--gaps the pale in significance to
the class wealth and power gap)

gender is obviously important here too.  the unmarked character of
whiteness meant white men usually.  hilary clinton will not be a
presidential candidate but the woman president, etc.  geraldine ferraro
was the female vp candidate.

it ought to be pointed out that groups in the u.s. that are not
significantly discriminated against are nevertheless marked:  like joe
lieberman.  when I think about it, I'll bet that john kennedy was not
seen as a president but as the catholic president.