[Marxism] LONDON, UK: Mayor says UK can learn from Cuba

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 5 13:00:38 MST 2006

Mayor says UK can learn from Cuba

The UK can learn from Cuba's Olympic achievements, Mayor of London
Ken Livingstone has said.

Mr Livingstone, who on a tour of a Latin America, said he wanted to
find out how the Caribbean island "engaged their young people in
sport".

"Though Cuba's only got a fifth of the population of Britain, it gets
as many medals in the Olympics as we do," he told a sports congress
in Havana.

He also attended a cricket match as part of a drive to develop the
sport.

'Engaging people'

In the 2004 Olympics in Athens, Britain and Cuba came in tenth and
eleventh place respectively, both with nine gold medals.

Mr Livingstone said he wanted to learn more about Cuba's successful
sports programmes ahead of London hosting the Games in 2012.

"Clearly they're doing something right here about engaging their
young people in sport, and that's what I'm really interested in
finding out about."

He said he was not expecting to meet Cuban leader Fidel Castro, who
has been recovering from intestinal surgery.

"I'd be honoured," he said. "But I'd much rather he got well, and got
back into being in charge," he said.

He is due to fly on to Venezuela to meet President Hugo Chavez on
Monday.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/london/6118934.stm

Published: 2006/11/05 15:49:34 GMT