[Marxism] La Commune

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Nov 5 11:50:14 MST 2006

I am very happy to report that Peter Watkins's "La Commune" is now
available in DVD/Video. This six-hour film, which originally appeared
on French television, joins Sergei Eisenstein's "10 Days that Shook
the World," Gillo Pontecorvo's "Battle of Algiers" and Herbert
Biberman's "Salt of the Earth" as a classic study of working people
trying to win their freedom.

Perhaps its greatest achievement is the way it makes this 135 year
old struggle relevant to more recent ones, which was clearly the
intention of its director Peter Watkins. As I sat watching it at the
edge of my seat, practically breaking out in a cold sweat, I could
not stop thinking about my visits to Nicaragua in the late 1980s when
the country like somebody hanging on to the edge of a cliff by their
fingers. "La Commune" demonstrates that this is both the blessing and
the curse of all revolutions. They are simultaneously great strides
forward toward freedom and huge risks almost tantamount to Russian roulette.

Several years after the Sandinistas were ousted, Carlos Vilas, an
Argentine sociologist and supporter of the revolution, spoke at a
meeting in New York. I will never forget how he characterized it. It
was like doctors in a delivery room with no electricity during an
earthquake. When working people try to take power, they are not only
faced with their own inexperience as masters of society, they are
faced with the immediate hostility and open sabotage of the old
ruling classes. I have never seen a film that conveys this dilemma as
well as "La Commune."

http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2006/11/05/la-commune/