[Marxism] re: Nicaragua's Ortega wins presidential election: quick count

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Mon Nov 6 17:23:50 MST 2006

I agree Ortega's election might still be frustrated, but on the other hand I'm not so sure the Americans would bother. Why not let him flounder with a minority mandate and demoralise his supporters?

Because I'd have thought the most significant thing about the vote isn't what he will do (nothing, probably) but the expectations that it will create. If he's denied power, that might create an angry reaction.

I also notice that the MRS vote is larger for deputies than for the presidency  - above 9%, not bad at all.