[Marxism] markedivity [was: Slavery and Race]

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 21:51:43 MST 2006

On 11/6/06, Mark Lause <MLause at cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> Greg's last post left me flabberghasted and confused....specifically by
> the
> entire question of markedness and nonmarkedness, when you wrote, "the
> unmarked character of whiteness--dukakis as presidential candidate--itself
> has a history though.  when the discourse circled around white man's
> burden,
> it was not unmarked."
>
> What exactly is it about the whiteness that was burdened but unmarked or,
> subsequently marked and unburdened?  And, in the nature of the markedness,
> what is the dudakisativity?

I think it is simple enough.

The white man's burden (to civilize the natives, etc) used to be
specifically called the *white* man's burden (not "man's burden"). Thus,
whiteness was "marked". ("Man" and "white man" weren't treated as
synonymous).

By the time we get to Dukakis, "white man" has become synonymous with "man".
(Thus, D. was not identified as the "white candidate" but just as
"candidate").