[Marxism] A pen-l'er on Bolivia

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Nov 7 09:44:18 MST 2006

"Complete Victory":  I don't know whether that phrase is more blind
faith or no faith.  :-)

Meanwhile, the government has still given out very little information
about the deal.  It may be that we will never be told (in the 3rd
world these agreements often have confidentiality clauses, but those
countries usually don't have progressive governments).

I admit to feeling uncomfortable about the secrecy.  This may be
Bolivia's most important decision in a 50 year period and Bolivians
fought long and hard in the "Gas Wars" for a better deal (actually,
they fought under the slogan of leaders like Morales and Felipe
Quispe, for nationalization).  The public should feel they have some
role in the decision and, above all, one can't build a long term
movement without some degree of popular participation.

[In a global context, Wolfowitz, Blair and the G8 are making a big
push on "transparency" over the *use* of petro/gas income by
"developing" countries (the Extractive Industries Transparency
Initiative, EITI) and their are joined by  Soros, Transparency
International, etc.

Yet these groups carefully exclude calls for transparency and "civil
society" participation in the assessment and approval process of
contracts with private companies.  90% of 3rd world oil production
remains nationalized and the push for such privatizing contracts
(Production Sharing Agreements, which is what 100% of Bolivia
production will still be subject to) is one of the "West"s  highest
priorites - so the World Bank and official finance agencies are
usually key participants in these non-transparent contracts.  They
could improve the rules with one stroke of a pen.]

I won't cross post my comments on a sister list about the details we
know so far about Bolivia (which were a bit more detailed than what I
posted last week on pen-l).  But I have just seen a blog of an energy
analyst from the Open Center in Cochabamba which provides an
assessment similar to mine on some of this (but Pen-l heard it first :-) )
[<http:///>http://www.democracyctr.org/blog/2006/11/bolivia-and-foreign-oil-companies-sign.html#comments]
Read the 3 comments as well.

Paul