[Marxism] Democratic salvation?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Nov 7 10:40:13 MST 2006

The Democratic Salvation And The Idiotic Left
by Gilles d'Aymery

     "We have no political parties. We've never
had much of them -- I mean the Democrats, the
Republicans. We have one party -- we have the
party of essentially corporate America. It has
two right wings, one called Democratic, one
called Republican. So in the absence of politics,
with a media that is easy to manipulate and, in
the hands of very few people with interests in
wars and oil and so on, I don't see how you get
the word out, but one tries because there is nothing else to be done."
     —Gore Vidal, interviewed by Mark Davis,
Dateline, SBS TV, Australia, March 12, 2003.

(Swans - November 6, 2006)  What do American
fake-Progressives, busy signing liberal
manifestos, self-defined pseudo-Marxists, and
laptop-Revolutionaries do when they want to fight
the Republicrooks du jour? Do they unite and
promote third-party candidates like the many
worthy of consideration in the Green Party? Do
they fight for, and advocate change? Do they come
with proposals, platforms, no-nonsense politics?
Some do and some don't, in lengthy essays and
posts all over the blogosphere, but in any case,
when the time comes for another biennial election
cycle, whether congressional or presidential,
they tend to have second thoughts. Things are so
dire, the danger so grave -- Bush is a moron,
incompetent in waging war, a fascist in disguise
-- that one should put aside the long-term
strategy of change and adopt a more flexible and
short-term tactic. In other words, these people,
again from the softest of the soft to the hard
left, get suddenly united by the siren of
expediency: They strongly advocate to vote for
what Joel Hirschhorn, the author of Delusional
Democracy, calls the Democraps. Then with the
elections over, win or lose, they go back to
their "progressive," pseudo-Marxist, or
revolutionary fancies, discoursing on the merits
of uniting again for the long struggle toward a
better world...till the next time (that will be
in 2008). As these useful idiots know well, the
differences between the Republicrooks and the
Democraps are of the order of night and day, no
less. Here is a clear demonstration:

On October 19, 2006, during a symposium on
Detainee Treatment & Trials at George Washington
University, Washington, DC, former Chief &
Special Adviser, CIA Counterterrorism Center,
Michael Scheuer candidly, though in guarded
terms, explained that what is now known as
"extraordinary rendition" -- the secret transfer
of prisoners from country A to country B -- is a
program that was created in 1995 by the CIA upon
the order of then-President W. J. Clinton.
Furthermore, while much has been said about the
unusual secrecy of the Bush administration, Wake
Forest University Law Professor Robert Chesney
summarized his research on the doctrine of State
Secret Privilege. He found that the Bush
administration's use of that doctrine was far
from being unprecedented. The motion to dismiss a
lawsuit on state secret privilege was exercised
38 times in the past 53 years (since 1953) -- 25
times before 2000. Overall, according to
Professor Chesney, the motions were granted in
whole or in part 26 times. During that same
period, deference to the executive branch by the
courts has remained consistent and high. The Bush
administration, he concludes, is not doing
anything different from preceding US administrations.

full: http://www.swans.com/library/art12/ga218.html