[Marxism] How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to power

james daly james.irldaly at ntlworld.com
Tue Nov 7 11:40:17 MST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
To: "Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition"
<marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Marxism] How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to power

Carrol wrote:

C: This keeps coming up, but I really don't see how it is relevant to
anything.

I'll explain why I think it is relevant.

C: Everyone on this list supposedly takes for granted that  the capitalist
class is oppressive, repressive, & in general supportive of bad things.

But this is not about the capitalist class in general.  It is about a family
which has produced two presidents.

C: And a large part of the population of the u.s. today _passively_ is of
the opinion that the Bush administration is a bust, particularly in its war
making.

Apparently not enough to stop Bush from having two terms as president.  Very
passive!

C: So how in the hell do "exposes" of grandfathers, great-uncles, etc etc
accomplish anything but deflect attention from _today's_ quite public
crimes.

On the contrary they reinforce the message that these are criminals against
humanity.

C: It seems to be just another version of the premises behind conspiracy
theory, i.e., capitalism would be o.k. if we could get rid of the secret
crooks.

That is a complete red herring, a case of random association, and the
dragging up of a pet hobby horse.  It is an insult to say that someone is
suggesting that capitalism would be okay without the Bushs -- one hastily
made and obviously not thought out.

Just as "Hail to the thief" is a good counter to the adulation given to the
office, so reminders, to ourselves and the "passive" people we are trying to
persuade, about the moral and legal criminality of the thief's family are
good motivators.  I don't see why an e-mail list shouldn't be a place to
exchange useful resources for agitation.

Comradely,
James Daly