Fwd: [Marxism] Re Gilad Atzmon on Barot

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 17:20:48 MST 2006

On 11/7/06, robert montgomery <ilyenkova at gmail.com> wrote:

"Borat is set to present anti-Semitism as a backward reactionary
> tendency. By doing so Baron Cohen and his team are there to block or
> even to shutter any form of criticism of global Zionism in general and
> of Israel in particular. This is indeed a non-violent legitimate
> political agenda, yet something to keep in the back of your mind while
> having an evening out at the cinema.
>
> I allow myself to guess that when the last echoes of laughter will
> fade away, we may be left with a deeper understanding of the imperial
> cultural colonial agenda. If I am indeed correct here, then Baron
> Cohen happens to serve the emerging Palestinian discourse of
> resistance. Shukran ya Borat or rather Dzienkuje Herr Cohen."
>
> I was with Atzmon until these two concluding paragraphs. Actually the
> 1st of the two makes perfect sense, but the last paragraph just seems
> to hang there, unconnected to the rest of the text. How are we lead to
> "a deeper understanding of the imperial cultural colonial agenda" ?

He is saying that once you understand the kind of "blocking" action that
Cohen is carrying out, i.e. once you realize what the agenda is that films
like this legitimise, then you will be left with a "deeper understanding" of
this agenda. (Cohen, Atzmon would say,  doesn't want you to understand the
agenda. In fact, Atzmon thinks that Cohen doesn't understand the agenda
himself, or if Cohen  does so, Cohen does not recognize that he is a part of
that agenda.)

So, what Atzmon says makes perfect logical sense. One may or may not agree
with Atzmon, but the second paragraph does logically follow from the first,
and is consistent with it.