[Marxism] Here's how the 2006 mid-term election was stolen

Y. K. ykleftis at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 7 23:32:11 MST 2006

Dear Mark,

I'm mostly concerned with the meaning of US elections for everyone outside
the US. I've debated with friends about a Democrat majority in the US
legislature and argued that it's worse for Democrats to win because then
suddenly it seems that "democracy works" again in the US. My opponents argue
that it's better for Democrats to win, for nothing will change and people
will grow disillusioned with the US government as a whole. In any case, I
don't believe in prediction, so the discussion is probably the equivalent of
gambling.

I'm no expert on US party politics, but I think you'd agree that the mere
presence of party politics doesn't mean the absence of a dictatorship or
something close to it. Even changes in the composition of the legislature
don't necessarily change the dictatorial character of government in
countries such as Turkey, for instance. There has been no substantial
limitation on the development of such politics in the US by the Democrats.
Why should there be? They hope for the presidential / dictatorial prize
themselves in 2008. I have this article in mind when discussing the legal
tendencies toward dictatorship in the US:
http://monthlyreview.org/1106paye.htm .

Perhaps I don't appreciate enough the reality of a single party of capital.
I'm willing to be educated on this point. But if the Democrats win a
majority in the legislature, as seems likely, it will become easier for
Democrats to demand discipline from potential supporters for 2008 because
they are suddenly "winners" and "populists" against big bad Bush. I also see
the possibility of even more European / Japanese cooperation with the US
along with more death for those who resist the US empire.

In any case, the economy has yet to play its card, which will change the
terrain for all parties.

Comradely,

Y.K.

Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with
Live Search!
http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline