[Marxism] Here's how the 2006 mid-term election was stolen

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Wed Nov 8 06:35:13 MST 2006

Perhaps I misunderstood Y.K.'s comments, in which case I apologize.  I am,
of course, always interested in hearing what our friends elsewhere advise.

Our duty in the US requires resistance to both major parties...precisely
over those basic human rights in electoral politics that you identified.

The Democrats have been as bad as the Republicans in this regard.  In Ohio,
the Greens built up to a vote of 100,000 in 2000, after which the two
capitalist parties simply ruled that our votes wouldn't be counted in 2004.

People outside the US do not seem to realize that--notwithstanding American
rhetoric about democracy, etc.--we function under an electoral system that
does not meet the basic requirements of the European Parliamentary Union.
In any practical sense, we do not have the right to form our own political
parties that will have any equitable standing as such...and we do not have
the right to have our votes counted.  This is why voter participation here
is so low. If the US were in Eastern Europe seeking admission into the EU,
it would be having a lot of difficulties on this score.

Both parties form a partnership in shaping this reality.  We have two
choices.... (1) We can ignore electoral politics; or, (2) We can persist in
our efforts to maintain some sort of independent political action here. To
me, the former fails to confront this grotesque official hypocrisy.  The
latter is terribly difficult.

What I have argued for years is that a number of these independent parties
in the US need to combine their efforts and place their case before the
United Nations and other bodies, partly to expose before the world the
hollowness of the kind of democracy the US aspires to export at the point of
a gun.

Solidarity!
Mark L.