[Marxism] Question re Latinos sank the Republicans in the mid-termelections

Joaquin Bustelo jbustelo at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 8 12:57:00 MST 2006

David McDonald writes:

"What we should do is figure out a way to capitalize on the overwhelming
sentiment expressed by the voters against the war....

"As it happened, for mostly local historical reasons, and also the good work
early on from NION in the Seattle immigrant rights movement, the Feb 15th
2003 demo in Seattle was jointly sloganed about the war in Iraq and the
attack on immigrant rights and included major components from immigrant
rights organizations.... Maybe that could be one approach.
Or the beginning of a discussion."

I'm not sure, but my gut tells me there's a lot of truth here.

Like the Latino community with a special focus on the immigrant issue, the
Black community and a lot of white working people, especially poorer people,
youth, and ... I'm not making this up ... people with post-graduate degrees
went to the polls to beat up on the Republicans (and in the case of these
broader constituencies, especially Bush personally). That's what the exit
poll says. I think it was 39% who said they were voting to oppose Bush.

Forget questions of electoral tactics and strategic independence and all
that, here we have sentiment that translated itself into motion: more than a
third of the people who voted in the House races say they did so to oppose
Bush. And remember, only about 10% of the House races were competitive, over
in Atlanta, they didn't even have an election, Congressman John Lewis won by
default, without opposition and BTW that's not unusual: Pedro Marin, who has
been the most conscientious representative of the Latino community in the
State House here also was unopposed, having beat back a challenger in the
Democrat primary. And our state supreme court is elected and there wasn't a
single person other than the incumbents running.

But for me the question is whether a new antiwar mobilization would mark a
step forward politically in terms of reconfiguring the antiwar movement as
one based on and responsive to the nationally oppressed communities.

The antiwar movement of the 1960's worked to the extent it did because,
although not in an organic way, it was really based on the Black movement.
And among Chicanos and Blacks there were large antiwar protests.

The problem is, are the ANSWERites and Cagan & Co. going to be willing to
incorporate and accept actual leadership from these communities? I know who
I would talk to in the Immigrant Rights movement, but I doubt greatly these
other folks do.

Joaquín