[Marxism] Counterpunch critique of Borat

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Fri Nov 10 16:56:18 MST 2006

Les,

I'll probably not go after getting your take on it.  I've honestly been on
the face and feeling very little about it either way.

Most of the humor--pranking the unwitting--is like fingernails on a
blackboard for me.  I may well laugh...even boisterously...but it's always
painful...and I never walk away from it feeling comfortable about it.  The
clips I've seen have all been like that.  And I don't know if I really want
to know how easy it is to get a crowd in Arizona singing about throwing the
Jews down the well.

That can't be good...

Frankly, the entire thing strikes me as a kind of eastern European minstrel
show.  Of course, the minstrel shows were never simple vilifications of
African-Americans and often provided a vehicle for some humor transcending
race, some telling social criticisms and even cultural observations.  On
balance, though, I think the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Best,
Mark L.