[Marxism] Howard Dean will help Bush's war partners win

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Nov 11 07:09:00 MST 2006

Guardian, Saturday November 11, 2006
Labour drafts in US election architect for 'our midterms'

Howard Dean to advise party on campaigning strategy ahead of key May vote
Tania Branigan and Julian Borger

Labour has enlisted one of the engineers of this week's Democratic
victory in the US midterm elections in an attempt to boost its
flagging fortunes before the local elections in May.

Howard Dean, the former presidential candidate and one of the men
credited with masterminding the trouncing of the Republicans, will
visit the UK next month to brief party officials about his pioneering
campaigning techniques.

"The Welsh, Scottish and local elections next year are our midterms,"
said Hazel Blears, Labour's chair. "It has to be done differently for
us to carry on being successful ... We're looking at how [the
Democrats] have upped their game."

Labour is particularly interested in the Democrats' style of
targeting grassroots voters through low-key meetings in homes. "We
want to look at their experience in campaigning, getting out the
vote, holding house meetings where people can come together ... You
don't want to transplant American politics, but there's a lot we can
share," said Ms Blears.

Many political observers will regard the drafting in of Mr Dean as
bizarre, given that the Democratic victory was largely founded on
voters' anger about the war in Iraq - the very subject which has
alienated many Labour supporters and on which Mr Dean has been so outspoken.

full: http://politics.guardian.co.uk/labour/story/0,,1945410,00.html