[Marxism] A Quick Note on Borat

gregory meyerson gmeyerson at triad.rr.com
Sun Nov 12 10:19:21 MST 2006

I thought the boler article lousy, but the following very good:
http://www.counterpunch.org/atzmon11072006.html

much more sophisticated.

I haven't seen movie yet but have seen many of the scenes and saw him
on leno with martha stewart, and he's hilarious.

it is no doubt very funny, but if it works in the service of zionism or
religious orthodoxy (jewish orthodoxy), then its subversiveness is
really limited.  from reading above article, my impression was that the
rhetoric of his hilarious anti semitism might function as real racism
against arabs.  how? well, borat makes anti semitism absolutely
mediaeval and ludicrous, as much satire is wont to do.  but what about
the anti semitism rooted not in mediaeval irrationality but in
opposition to an israeli state that equates zionism and jew (this does
not excuse such antisemitism--needless to say, tens of thousands of
jews, perhaps hundreds of thousands, are anti zionists)?  and as for
borat, will not many apolitical americans associate borat with the
largely arab other against which our civilization is supposed to be
clashing?