[Marxism] Vietnam won

Joaquin Bustelo jbustelo at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 13 06:48:26 MST 2006

Louis writes: "The collapse of the USSR and intense pressure from the
world capitalist marketplace determined Vietnam's future far more
than 'the Vietnamese'. They made the same 'choice' as the FSLN did in
the early 1990s. It was to become known as TINA. Generally Marxists
understand why countries move in such directions, but there is no
need to genuflect the way that Walter does."

This sort of vulgar economic determinism and class reductionism for some
reason is making tremendous headway on this list, and I daresay among others
on the left. The reasons for this resurgence, accompanied by a resurgence of
party/Leninist orthodoxy among some who appeared to know better in the past,
represents, I think, another stage in the exhaustion of the generation of
revolutionaries who came of age in the 1960's and 1970's.

And it is a curious thing, for it becomes clearer with every passing day
that the significant limits to U.S. imperialist domination of the world come
mainly in the form of *national* rather than *class* movements.

Whatever else you might say about it, the much-maligned Iraqi resistance did
succeed in getting the Republican religious fundamentalist white regime in
Washington defeated in the recent mid-term elections.

Not to mention defeating the imperialist plan to turn Iraq into combination
American strip mall and plantation dotted here and there by oil wells.

And this is due in no small part to the heroic patriotic resistance of tens
of millions of Vietnamese, to their sacrifice and to their martyrs, whose
blood nourishes the tree of freedom to our day.

"Nothing is more precious than independence and liberty."
(Ho Chi Minh)

Joaquín