[Marxism] Romanian Gypsies, Sex Toys, British Zionist Entertainment?

Y. K. ykleftis at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 15 06:57:03 MST 2006

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_world_4309823_15/11/2006_76588

Borat’s village furious

Paraschiva Stoian, 72, the woman who plays the role of Borat’s mother,
stands yesterday in her mud house in the village of Glod, Romania, 140
kilometers northwest of Bucharest. Comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, who plays the
fictional Kazakh journalist Borat, used Glod’s Roma as stand-ins for Kazakhs
in his new movie.

By William J. Kole - The Associated Press

GLOD - The name of this remote Romanian village means “mud,” and that’s
exactly what angry locals are throwing back at comedian Sacha Baron Cohen.

Cohen used Glod’s Gypsies as stand-ins for Kazakhs in his runaway hit movie,
“Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of
Kazakhstan.” Now offended villagers are threatening to sue the film’s
producers for paying them a pittance to put farm animals in their homes and
perform other crude antics.

Residents and local officials in the scruffy hamlet 140 kilometers (85
miles) northwest of Bucharest said yesterday they were horrified and
humiliated to learn their abject poverty and simple ways are ridiculed in a
movie now raking in millions at box offices worldwide.

“We thought they came here to help us - not mock us,” said Dana Luca, 40,
sweeping a manure-stained street lined with shabby homes of crumbling brick
and corrugated iron sheeting.

“We haven’t got anything here. We haven’t got running water. We can’t even
bathe,” she said. “We are poor people, but we are still people.” Nicolae
Staicu, leader of the 1,670 Roma who eke out a living in one of the most
impoverished corners of Romania, said he and other officials would meet with
a public ombudsman today to map out a legal strategy against Cohen and
“Borat” distributor 20th Century Fox.

The film’s opening sequence showing Borat’s hometown in Kazakhstan is shot
in Glod.

Staicu accused the producers of paying locals just 10 or 15 lei (3-4.50
euros, US$3.30-5.50), misleading the village into thinking the movie would
be a documentary, refusing to sign proper filming contracts and enticing
easily exploited peasants into performing crass acts.

With no gas heating or indoor plumbing, most keep warm with wood stoves and
drink from wells. Horse-drawn carts far outnumber automobiles on unpaved,
badly potholed roads, and mangy stray dogs growl and snap at strangers.

“These people are poor and they were tricked by people more intelligent than
us,” Staicu said. “They took one of our 75-year-old ladies, put huge
silicone breasts on her and said she was 47. Another man they filmed to look
like the poorest person in the world, and one of our men who is missing an
arm had a plastic sex toy taped to his stump.” “We are suing because they
were not truthful,” added Staicu, who said he saw parts of “Borat” and was
disgusted.

“They did not film reality,” he said. “We’ve really had enough of this.”

--

Cohen's biography at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacha_Baron_Cohen