[Marxism] Some of my thoughts

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 22:55:18 MST 2006

On 11/16/06, Rohan Gaiswinkler <rohanger at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>   However I think if Lou's argument is to really have weight, the onus is
> on him to show us what other method of organisation a class combat political
> party should adopt that doesn't lead to DRAMATIC PROBLEMS IN OTHER AREAS,
> such as with achiving unity in action, in avoiding debilitating permanent
> factionalism, or turning into a talkshop.

I agree that this may be difficult for a class combat political party.

But...

In present-day Britain, Australia and the US, does it make sense to try to
organise a party dedicated to class _combat_ at the present moment? A party
more dedicated to ideas than to action may be more necessary at the present
time, given the disarray and pessimism of the working class in these
countries currently -- or, as Joaquin Bustelo would probably say, the
_absence_ of a working class _for itself_ in these countries.

So the need of the hour may well be to have a party more dedicated to ideas
and sorting and debating them in a more or less transparent way, which would
convince  workers of its seriousness. It becomes feasible, perhaps, to start
building a class combat political party only when at least a working class
_for itself_ actually exist. Otherwise, one may be left with "sound and
fury, signifiying nothing".