[Marxism] Lion of the Desert

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Nov 18 09:01:14 MST 2006

A couple of months ago, an old friend who works at the World Bank
(yes, we are everywhere) recommended "Lion of the Desert" to me. I
finally got around to watching it this week and can strongly
recommend it as one of the finer anti-colonial films of recent years
and one that like "Battle of Algiers" resonates strongly with the
struggle now taking place in Iraq.

Made in 1981, "Lion of the Desert" is a historically faithful study
of the guerrilla struggle against the Italian fascist occupation of
Libya led over a 20 year period by Omar Mukhtar, who is played by
Anthony Quinn. In keeping with the film's respect for historical
accuracy, Quinn, who was 66 at the time, is a perfect choice to play
Mukhtar who was 69 when he was captured by the fascists. With his
naturally white hair and beard, Quinn seems an unlikely choice to
play the stereotypical warrior but the historical Mukhtar was no stereotype.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2006/11/18/lion-of-the-desert/