[Marxism] Re: Moderator's Note

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 19 12:56:42 MST 2006

Joaquin Bustelo wrote:

> The discussion I would have had --about whether the Leninist practice
> implies/creates a *hierarchical* relationship between the "party" and others
> engaged in the same issues/causes/movements/efforts, among other issues--
> tends to be short circuited when the tone for a discussion is set in that
> way.

It is not clear, after about 10 years of effort, that useful political
discussion is possible on general e-mail lists. Political discussion
(even high-level theory) flows from practice, needs to be anchored in
practice. The results of that 10 years are not decisively negative --
but neither do they offer much hope. Unity emerges from struggle is the
old adage, but struggle on e-lists seems mostly to result in personal
animosity.

Carrol