[Marxism] A Journey of Dmitri Shostakovich

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 19 13:04:03 MST 2006

Joaquin Bustelo wrote:

> Another one from Louis's collection of movies that no one cares enough about
> to pirate. Seriously, what has this got to do with the price of beans?

Since we do not share any current political practice, perhaps cultural
theory could be a more fruitful domain of list discussion than whatever
the current topics are. At least such discussion might result in fewer
expulsions from the list, and might even lead back to more interesting
political discussion.

Agitational works (books, movies, dances, music) are toothless in the
absence of a mass movement in which they are grounded. Even if a movie
moves people politically, the change in consciousness will not last more
than a few weeks unless there is an ongoing semi-organized struggle into
which it may feed. But a a more general level, reactionary works can be
as frutiful as revolutionary works, since both point towards discussion
attempting to  understand the social forces at various levels.

Without a movement arguments that such and such a movie or painting is
progressive or reactionary are pointless.

Carrol