[Marxism] Re: Moderator's Note

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Nov 19 16:37:13 MST 2006

>It is not clear, after about 10 years of effort, that useful political
>discussion is possible on general e-mail lists. Political discussion
>(even high-level theory) flows from practice, needs to be anchored in
>practice. The results of that 10 years are not decisively negative --
>but neither do they offer much hope. Unity emerges from struggle is the
>old adage, but struggle on e-lists seems mostly to result in personal
>animosity.
>
>Carrol

I am slowly coming around to the perspective that mailing lists are
actually a waste of time and might pull the plug on this one at some
point. I'd wish one of my critics like Joaquin, Fred Feldman, David
McDonald would go set something up on yahoo and give me the
opportunity to post every day for 3 years about my pet hobbyhorse and
to divide the mailing list between the saved and the damned based on
what position they take on the foreign policy initiatives of North
Korea or something. That would be fun.

Most of the best writing is done on blogs, like Dennis Perrin's,
Lenin's Tomb, Historical Materialism, Reading the Maps and all the
others in my blogroll. People who write for blogs really exercise
some care when they post an entry as opposed to the fact-devoid,
theory-bereft, chest-beating drivel that appears here on most days.

Anyhow, I don't mind people taking potshots at this list and making
the case about what a waste of time it is. I just need to hear that
for a few more months and I am outta here.