[Marxism] Troubled times

Joaquin Bustelo jbustelo at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 19 21:58:50 MST 2006

Ian asks: "And do you not think culture (even including music) plays a part
in
producing false consciousness?"

Yes, of course, like duh ... but material reality plays an even bigger part.
It is the *reality* that Blacks are held in an inferior position that is the
basis for white supremacist ideology.

But I'm also questioning the use we make of concepts like "false
consciousness." I see it deployed as a magical incantation, to make
political problems disappear. Why are so many white workers racists? "False
consciousness" is proferred as an explanation, but in reality it explains
nothing, only reifies the form of the question: who do white workers have
"false consciousness?"

Joaquin