[Marxism] Value of List

D OC donaloc at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 20 04:59:09 MST 2006

A chairde,

I don't often post to this list. But I read it and the leading posts pretty
much every other day.

I get a good bit out of some of them in particular, I value its role as
acting as a magnet for quality information that cuts through the bourgeois
analysis we are fed with on TV. I similarly value the role of a list like
the A-List for its ability to concentrate economic analysis and news. I have
to admit that I use these lists like I use a newspaper. The marxism list is
like an open radical paper with lots of opinions most of which are of
interest- with a large letter's column. The A-list is like a left wing
Financial Times at times.

I think that the commitment from people like Louis to keep these lists going
is indeed praiseworthy. He doesn't get much thanks. I think he deserves
such.

Walter's posts are probably among the most interesting to me - as I go to
marxmail for them - it's easier and I get to see what else is 'in the news'.
I don't have to 100% agree throughout but it gives me an alternative vision.

I have to admit that I've largely lost my initial hopes that a list such as
this could act in some way as an international of sorts. The level of
analysis is just too low. Arguments presented usually end at precisely the
point where someone like a Lenin would begin them.

I have to say that my debates with Philip Ferguson - I felt perhaps due to
egocentricism - we had an attempt to really take on issues in all
seriousness. Certainly, things get very serious and nasty in the heat of
battle. How couldn't they - if you are a serious revolutionary then a
correct approach to struggle is what defines your personal worth in some
fundamental sense. The stuff on Australian politics is sometimes of that
value - although the relative weight of the DSP is much smaller.

I sometimes re-read my comments and squirm where I feel that I feel short in
some aspect e.g. my petty comments on Ali-G.

If we could have a list where there was similar commitment on all sides,
then we'd be getting somewhere. Strangely, I am most drawn to the debates on
marxmail. They seem to bring out the best in people - where opinions are
genuinely expressed you get a deeper analysis as each tries to convince the
other (or the gallery) that they are afterall correct. The loss of able and
distinctive members is always, then, from that perspective, a huge loss to
the list. The overall trend is however to eliminate distinctive voices at
times - I fear.

I think that the suggestion that the list takes itself more seriously is a
worthwhile one. Commenting on new stories is insufficient really. Commenting
on films and music is of lower importance still. It only gets us so far.
What's needed is really people taking the time (or making the time in their
busy (hopefully activist) lives) to write on their experience of struggle
and their thoughts. That would be really useful. I guess that's what Louis
is saying to Walter. Speak to the struggle you face. Maybe things are so
limited in the USA that there is no *concrete* struggle like we face - but I
can't believe that.

Maybe the problem for some of us, is that we can't talk that clearly on
things. Maybe we can't discuss what it is that we do on a weekly basis.
Maybe the problem is that some aren't doing anything concrete (shame) of
worth. Maybe activism on e-lists is where people are at?!?

That's my take. The list is of worth - but like everything it needs to be
reviewed in accordance with its successes and failures. Everyone should
contribute as we all value it sufficiently to look and, occasionally,
comment. Don't give up on it, change it.

Le meas,
DoC