[Marxism] A coup in the making?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Nov 21 07:39:19 MST 2006

Interesting article from venezuelanalysis.com:

 >>With all of this in place, the plan continues with a call to the high
military command, in the words of Poleo, to "decide if it is going to
continue forcing the Venezuelan opposition to put up with an embarrassing
regime."  These words, directed to the high military command, basically
amount to a call to overthrow the government.  He continues by referring to
the plan as a sequence of events that all Venezuelans are going to see this
December, and in which their destiny as dignified human beings, and the
destiny of their respectable nation, is at play.  Obviously, Poleo is
implying that if Chavez continues in power, Venezuela will cease to be a
dignified and respectable nation, and that Venezuelans should not have to
continue putting up with him.  He forgets to mention, however, that surveys
show Chavez has the support of the majority of Venezuelans.<<

full: http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/articles.php?artno=1878

I plan to elaborate on this in some detail in an article for swans.com, but
it seems to me that there is a fundamental flaw in Tariq Ali's
analysis--supposedly based on what Chavez himself told him--that left
social democracy is the only possible course of action in Venezuela (and
everywhere else presumably.) The logical corollary is to assume that going
beyond this and pose revolutionary tasks amounts to a kind of adventurism.
In my own view, it has *never* been possible to sustain a left social
democratic government for very long in Latin America or elsewhere in the
South. Eventually, a government has to confront its attackers both within
its borders and without just to maintain the reformist program. Since most
social democratic governments have lacked the organic ties to the people
and a willingness to arm them, the ultraright has always been victorious. I
have a strong sense that Chavez is preparing a different response. More
details to come...

--

www.marxmail.org