[Marxism] Moderator's note/China

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Tue Nov 21 13:27:34 MST 2006

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:45:27 -0500, Louis Proyect wrote:

> China is simply just another Asian "tiger",

  Certainly not. A quarter of the world's population which is moving
into the center of world economy and world politics is not "just another
Asian 'tiger'". This is a country which has liberated itself from
colonial domination by a popular revolution, and not some former
half-colony with a strong increase in export production winning some
autonomy from its imperialist master.

  Just as Malcolm X hailed the first Chinese atomic bomb, I welcome
China's economic growth.

  Even if this growth comes with a price -- growing social tensions and
conflicts, growing problems for the environment.

> but in the anomalous position
> of having Communists running the capitalist system.

  "Communists" ... well, OK, with a capital "C".

  That economic growth comes with a price -- and I don't want to discuss
here if this price had necessarily to be paid -- but I don't see the
Chinese workers and farmers being defeated and depressed, accepting to
be humiliated by the triumph of a new capitalist ruling class.

  All these reports of at times quite violent struggles of fight back
tell me, that the fighting capacity of the working classes in China has
not been broken.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany