[Marxism] Moderator's note/China

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Tue Nov 21 21:43:41 MST 2006


On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:42:45 -0500, Louis Proyect wrote:

> Lueko:
> >Certainly not. A quarter of the world's population which is moving
> >into the center of world economy and world politics is not "just 
another
> >Asian 'tiger'". This is a country which has liberated itself from
> >colonial domination by a popular revolution, and not some former
> >half-colony with a strong increase in export production winning some
> >autonomy from its imperialist master.
> 
> All I really meant to say is that there is no qualitative difference 
> between the mode of production in China and Taiwan. 

  I disagree, because I do see a qualitative difference, but even if 
there were no difference, I heartily greet China's growth towards taking 
its place in the worlds production and consumption. This _is_ changing 
the world, and to the better, and this _is_ developing the country which 
had been subject to so many colonialist abuses from the Opium war in 
1847 via the violent supporession of the Boxer uprising, the Japanese 
invasion in the 1930ies, and the threat of US war. And I think that 
every proletarian revolutionist should do the same. 

   Just as I hail the abolition of the institutionalized Apartheid 
racism in South Africa, even if it did not "grow over" into a socialist 
revolution. It is nevertheless a giant leap forward for humanity. 

> Sorry that I wasn't  clear enough. 
> Furthermore, if you are excited by China's rapid strides as a 
> capitalist power, who am I to quibble. 

  That's not what I wrote. I rejoice of China's growth as a power, 
period. And I rejoice that millions and hundreds of millions of people 
are drawn into the ranks of the proletariat in China. 

> So was the late A.G. Frank, who was certainly revolutionary minded 
> around a whole range of questions, but at least he made it clear 
> that was because he wanted to see some other capitalist power 
> or constellation of capitalist powers to replace 
> Anglo-American imperialism. 

  Well, André Gunder Frank abandoned socialism, I don't. 

  Nevertheless, I don't read the above in his latest articles. But I 
agree with A.G. Frank, I guess, on the world importance of China's rise 
and growth. 

  And I also agree with him on his analysis of the two pillars and at 
the same time achilles heels of the US empire, i.e. the US Dollar as the 
world's reserve currency and the military. Well, I see some things more, 
but Frank was, in my view, pointing to a very important fact. Remember 
the declaration of the Cuban Central Bank on the UBS/Credit Suisse move, 
that China is holding four times as much USD in its coffers than the US 
themselves? 

> That's pretty much what Samir Amin is saying as 
> well (and Hardt-Negri). That's just not my cup of tea.

  I am not so familiar with those authors, but at least I _think_ that 
Hardt-Negri's stance is rather to deny imperialist relations in the 
first place. And I fear that they rather agree with you on China. 


Yours, 
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany
--------------------------------
visit http://www.mlwerke.de Marx, Engels, Luxemburg, Lenin, Trotzki in German




More information about the Marxism mailing list