[Marxism] Moderator's note/China

Jscotlive at aol.com Jscotlive at aol.com
Wed Nov 22 00:59:22 MST 2006

In a message dated 21/11/2006 23:02:58 GMT Standard Time, lnp3 at panix.com
writes:

I don't  think so, Michael. He saw the Soviet Union as a beachhead for
the world  revolution in contrast to Stalin who began to look inwards.
At the very  time the USSR was in full swing with the NEP, the Soviet
Union was sending  Comintern agents

Reply:

This is the conventional, and rather simplistic view, of the early history
of the SU. The simple fact is that the introduction of NEP itself was the
beginning of an acceptance of the fact that the hoped for European revolution
might not occur as hoped and that the SU would have to exist in isolation, thus
developing its own productive forces with a period of 'state  capitalism'. The
Comintern work in Europe at the time was a last ditch attempt  to help foment
a European revolution. I think Trotsky said it best: 'Lenin  created the
apparatus. The apparatus created Stalin.'

JD