[Marxism] Moderator's note/China

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Nov 23 10:37:43 MST 2006

>CB: It would be interesting to hear the story about the backfiring of
>sending agents to help the German Communists overthrow the government.
>
>It has always seemed to me that this would be a general problem, not just in
>that particular case. That is, the Soviet Union could not stirup revolution
>in other countries, particularly the Great Power nations, without subjecting
>the local Communists to arrest and imprisonment, if not death, as spies and
>agents of a foreign power. Of course, this is exactly the tact that the U.S.
>took with respect to the CPUSA, charging it with being an agency of a
>foreign nation, trying to overthrow the U.S. government illegally; the
>McCarran Act *, I believe.

Sending agents into foreign countries was a big mistake. The best
thing would have been for the Kremlin to allow Communist Parties to
function on their own, not only without interference by Comintern
agents, but without the kind of de facto interference exhibited in
the removal of Browder from office at the end of WWII and his
replacement by William Z. Foster. This kind of meddling effectively
turned CP leaders into political geldings.