[Marxism] Moderator's note/China

Joaquin Bustelo jbustelo at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 23 21:02:12 MST 2006

Marvin writes: "So they [the Bolsheviks] naturally provided financial
support and political direction to their supporters."

I think there was no small amount of arrogance in the WAY that the
Bolsheviks intervened, and very little sensitivity to the reality that what
they were doing was PREVENTING the emergence of communist parties that could
stand on their own two feet. Whatever their intentions, it was also an
extension into the 3rd International of the "commandist" methods that the
Russian Revolution's exhaustion as a mass movement (due to the civil war and
resulting economic crisis) had made normal in Russia.

I witnesed first-hand what I think was a similar process in Nicaragua in the
late 1980's, and in reality, I don't know that there are ANY good choices
for a revolutionary party in that situation. Certainly the Bolsheviks did
not survive as a revolutionary party, and neither did the Nicaraguan FSLN.

I think the Cubans acted very differently in Latin America. They had a
pro-rural-guerrilla warfare line that they
propaganidized for, but they did not try, I don't believe, to make tactical
medicine for the various groups the way the Russians did in the early
Comintern.

Joaquín