[Marxism] Q - and request an apology!

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 24 07:23:33 MST 2006

At 11:26 PM 11/23/2006, you wrote:
>Louis,
>
>According to the writings of Karl Marx, I believe you are wrong, on
>why Karl Marx opposed Jean Baptise von Schweitzer. It was NOT
>because he was an associate of Lasalle, as you state.  Marx
>specifically mentions MANY TIMES, in his exchanges of letters,
>between himself and Engels, on efforts to at first expel von
>Schweitzer, at the time of his arrest and then later oppose him as
>head of the German party - specifically and ONLY because of von
>Schweitzer being Gay.  I suggest you read Karl Marx and Fred Engels
>letters on this - before YOU ASSUME and state - what is not factual
>- even if you do not like the truth about Marx's homophobia.

I did. All I could find was opposition to Lassallean politics. There
is every possibility that in some letter Marx might have referred to
him as a sodomizer or something, but he also referred to somebody as
a nigger, if I call correctly. But Marx was deeply opposed to
Lassallean politics. I recommend that you read the Critique of the
Gotha Programme to get a handle on this. If you can find something to
the contrary, please provide a URL or a citation. The idea that Marx
would have opposed somebody taking office because they were gay
is--frankly--ridiculous. But again, if you can find evidence of this,
please provide it. The Victorian era was permeated by homophobia and
Marx and Engels were men of their times. But until you can provide
chapter and verse, there is no point continuing with this.