[Marxism] Marx and von Schweitzer

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 24 08:39:41 MST 2006

I found an article titled "Johann Baptist von Schweitzer: The Queer
Marx Loved to Hate" by Hubert Kennedy that appeared in the 1995
Journal of Homosexuality, volume 1. I figured that if there was any
damning evidence of Marx's homophobic hatred of his Lassallean
opponent, it would appear there. Although Kennedy, who is hostile to
Marxism (he is an anarchist), tries to make the case that Marx
opposed von Schweitzer because he was gay, his own citations make it
abundantly clear that Marx and Engels hated him only because of his
politics. About the most incriminating evidence that Kennedy came
come up with is Marx's comment in a letter: ''As for the 'warm
fraternal' letter from Schweitzer to me, this is explained simply by
his fear that following the Nuremberg decision I might now publicly
speak up for Wilhelm [Liebknecht] and against him.'' Kennedy says
that 'warm fraternal' means "faggoty". Talk about clutching at straws...

In any case, I have put the entire article up on the Marxmail website
and invite comrades to see for themselves:

http://www.marxmail.org/schweitzer.pdf