[Marxism] Troubled times

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 24 17:13:33 MST 2006

Joaquin wrote:
>Frankly, I am surprised by Louis's response and his point eludes me. Is it
>true that Marxists generally understood and embraced the feminist movement,
>pulling out all the pamphlets and propaganda that they had been doing over
>the years on the women question when the new wave of feminism hit in the
>1960s? Or that the CP or anyone else had a qualitatively better position
>than the SWP, which formally banned gay members?

Not at all. The CP had fucked up positions across the board. But
rank-and-filers like Betty Friedan and Harry Hays extrapolated from
the bastardized Marxism they learned in the party and developed core
ideas of the woman's and gay liberation movement. The CP was an
imperfect transmission belt, so to speak.