[Marxism] A Call for Practical Input

Gilles d'Aymery aymery at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 24 17:52:29 MST 2006

It's The Issues, Stupid!
A Call for Practical Input

by Gilles d'Aymery

(Swans - November 20, 2006)  Whether the election of the Democrats in
both the House and the Senate will bring some much needed breathing room
and slow down the freight train that has long gone out of control at an
increasing speed under the Republican conductors is at best debatable and
quite possibly irrelevant. The train will not change direction. The next
two years will show the same trends: more wars, more corporate control of
the electoral system and of the economy, more countless suffering for the
many, and more riches for the few. What's urgently needed is not a change
of direction within the same paradigm but a change of paradigm. Can
people offer reasonable solutions?

As George Lakoff, a professor of linguistics at the University of
California, Berkeley, and a senior fellow at the Rockridge Institute, has
often repeated, we need to accurately frame our values and our deepest
principles and offer a positive vision, not a "new direction" based
either against the other side or century-old revolutionary textbooks.
Those of us who do not place our hopes in the Democratic Party to even
remotely move toward a new economic and social paradigm must revisit and
define the issues that need to be addressed, devise practical and hopeful
solutions that can appeal to people at large, not just ideological and
sectarian groups. We need to foster minorities, black and Latino, toward
leadership positions, as well as women. And, above all, we need unity and
steadfastness. We cannot ask, prod, and support candidates to run for
office at great sacrifice to themselves and their families and, come
election time, return to the big Democratic tent -- and let them fend for
themselves.

A few observations about these elections

[ Full: http://www.swans.com/library/art12/ga219.html ]