[Marxism] Hitchens skewered in the London Review once again

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Nov 25 12:09:29 MST 2006

LRB | Vol. 28 No. 23 dated 30 November 2006 | John Barrell
The Positions He Takes
John Barrell

Thomas Paine’s ‘Rights of Man’: A Biography by
Christopher Hitchens · Atlantic, 128 pp, £9.99

‘If the rights of man are to be upheld in a dark
time, we shall require an age of reason,’ wrote
Christopher Hitchens last year on the dust jacket
of Harvey Kaye’s recent book on Paine.[*] And as
if to reinforce that message, he has now himself
published a little book on Paine, a ‘biography’
of Rights of Man. It begins with a dedication,
‘by permission’, to President Jalal Talabani:
‘first elected president of the Republic of Iraq;
sworn foe of fascism and theocracy; leader of a
national revolution and a people’s army. In the
hope that his long struggle will be successful,
and will inspire emulation.’ However selective
this description of Talabani, who has been all
this and almost everything else at one time or
another, it is an opening that encourages us to
expect a tract for the times: a demonstration
perhaps of how Paine’s book can help us
understand the complexities of the situation in
Iraq, perhaps even of what his theory of rights
might have to say about the legislative and
judicial innovations introduced into the US and
Britain as part of the war on terror. Will Paine
help us adjudicate between the rights of those
who died in the Twin Towers and those who have
been tortured in Guantanamo and elsewhere?
Between the non-combatant victims murdered by the
suicide bombers of the insurgency and the
non-combatants murdered by the Americans in
Fallujah or Haditha or Makr al-Deeb? By the end
of the book, Hitchens still seems to believe that
he will. ‘In a time,’ he writes in his final
sentence, ‘when both rights and reason are under
several kinds of open and covert attack, the life
and writing of Thomas Paine will always be part
of the arsenal on which we shall need to depend.’

In the event, between the dedication and the
final sentence the book says nothing about Iraq
or the war on terror, perhaps in silent
acknowledgment of the difficulty of knowing quite
how to depend on Paine in these dark times,
perhaps because Hitchens believes it best to let
Paine speak for himself and to leave President
Talabani and the rest of us to make the
connections. I would be more persuaded by the
wisdom of this method if the book made more
effort to expound and to summarise Paine’s
political philosophy. But compared with any other
book on Paine I can think of, this one is casual,
even perfunctory. Long before I reached the end
of what is a very long short book, I was at a
loss to know why it had been written. Discussing
the reasons why Burke, who had supported the
revolution in America, should have been so
hostile to the revolution in France, even in its
earliest and most innocent phase, Hitchens
remarks that ‘it is a deformity in some
“radicals”’ – he has Marx particularly in mind –
‘to imagine that, once they have found the lowest
or meanest motive for an action or for a person,
they have correctly identified the authentic or
“real” one.’ Quite right too; and if any radical,
misled by George Galloway’s description of
Hitchens as ‘a drink-soaked former Trotskyite
popinjay’, should suggest that this book was
written out of vanity, he would surely be
mistaken. A vain man would have taken care to
write a better book than this: more original,
more accurate, less damaging to his own
estimation of himself, less somniferously inert.
The press release accompanying the book led me to
expect something much livelier; Hitchens, it
exclaims, ‘marvels’ at the forethought of Rights
of Man, and ‘revels’ in its contentiousness.
There is a bit of marvelling and revelling here
and there, but it is as routine as everything
else in this book, which reads like the work of a tired man.

full: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n23/barr01_.html