[Marxism] Hugo Chavez is an innocent man!

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 25 16:57:46 MST 2006

This is the second time we have recently read on this list the claim
that Venezuela's president Hugo Chavez Frias believes that there
is no alternative but left social democracy in this epoch. Anyone
who has read Tariq Ali's new book, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN,
Evo Morales, Hugo Chavez, Fidel Castro and the Axis of Good
knows that there is no basis for the spreading of this completely
unsubstantiated claim. Even when it spread indirectly, as in the
claim that Tariq Ali agrees with the claim,  its goal is the same:
Chavez isn't radical enough to pass muster. Without proof, the
allegation should be withdrawn.

Walter Lippmann
Los Angeles, California

LOUIS PROYECT wrote:
There must be something in the air. Yoshie Furuhashi switches horses
to Shiite radicalism. Tariq Ali goes to Venezuela to interview Hugo
Chavez and concurs with the Venezuelan President's estimation that
nothing is possible in this epoch except left social democracy. (I
must add that this is not Chavez's view according to Michael Lebowitz
but my concern is more with Tariq Ali than Chavez anyhow.)