[Marxism] Is white male privilege an "illusion"? (Was: Re:Troubled time)

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 19:05:56 MST 2006

On 11/25/06, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> . And the problem of white workers'
> consciousness, including attitudinal racism, is an important but
> separate question.

But that was the main question in  *this discussion*.  In other words,
whether  white low-wage workers'  self-perception of  "superiority" was
matched by their (relative) insulation from downward wage pressure (in which
case the self-perception would have a material basis), or whether it is not
so matched (in which case the self-perception would merely be an
"illusion").

> You can't understand the issues by piling up empirical detail.

You lost me here. Why did Marx put in so much time into pouring over the
empirical data in the British Museum Library?