[Marxism] AGITPROP NEWS: PAINTING with FIRE

Mike Alewitz alewitz at comcast.net
Sat Nov 25 20:50:50 MST 2006

Please Post and Distribute:

LaBOR aRT & MuRAL PRoJECT
AGITPROP NEWS: 11.24.6

_______________________________

THEY BUILD WALLS BETWEEN WORKERS TO CREATE FEAR AND BREAK DOWN SOLIDARITYŠ

WE PAINT WALLS TO CREATE SOLIDARITY BETWEEN WORKERS AND BREAK DOWN THEIR
WALLS

PAINTING WITH FIRE
AGITPROP MURAL/ART EXHIBITION

Call for Participation:

Agitprop Mural/Art Exhibition
February 8 ­ March 10, 2007
Chen Gallery
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT

AGITPROP (agitation-propaganda) is a genre of art that became best known
during the early years of the Russian Revolution, when artists brought their
work out of the galleries and into the streets. They decorated the
boulevards, painted trains and ships, built floats and monuments, published
silkscreen posters and generally created a political and democratic form of
art to advance the revolution.

Northern Ireland, the Basque region of Spain, Nicaragua, Mexico and many
other international sites have a history of creating these murals.  Agitprop
has a tradition in the US as well ­ in the songs and cartoons of the
Wobblies (IWW ­ Industrial Workers of the World,) the mass theater of the
Paterson Silk Strike Pageant, murals inspired by the Chicano movement, etc.

With the global rebellion against the occupation of Iraq, Afghanistan and
Palestine, agitprop is attracting new artists and audiences. With that in
mind, we invite the participation of groups and individuals whose art is
created as part of the movement for social justice.

What Will be Exhibited:

- Text, photo, electronic and video documentation of agitprop mural/art
projects by artist groups and individuals.

- Banners, puppets and other large scale painting used on demonstrations,
picket lines, meeting backdrops, etc.

- We also invite groups and individuals to send small images that will be
reproduced as banners by students in the CCSU mural program.  Painting will
take place in Chen Gallery before and during the month-long exhibit.

Who May Participate:

In addition to artists, images may also be sent by political prisoners,
active-duty GIs, striking workers and others who breath life into our
painting.
We particularly invite international participation.

Special events:

- March 8: Presentation by Desmond Rochfort, author of The Mexican Muralists
  co-sponsored by the CCSU Seminar on Latin American Society and Culture

- March 10:  March & Rally:  At the conclusion of the show, the banners will
be taken off the walls and carried through the streets in a demonstration of
international solidarity against the wars and occupations of Iraq,
Afghanistan and Palestine.

- Other events TBA

Location:

Central CT State University is home to a unique, community-based mural
program.  Our students learn the history and techniques of mural art while
painting in the working-class neighborhoods of central Connecticut.  Past
work has tackled issues of child labor, the war and occupation of Iraq, the
student movement, immigrant workers, sexual abuse, popular culture,
ecological destruction and similar subjects.

Over 50 murals have been painted on the CCSU campus. Students have traveled
to Siracusa Sicily to create a peace mural, and visiting artists from
Mexico, Northern Ireland and other locations have donated small murals to
our campus.

Sponsors:

CCSU Art Department/ CSU Peace Studies/ Labor Art & Mural Project
We welcome additional sponsorship

To Participate:

Please Reply to alewitzm at ccsu.edu

Name:

Group:

Address/ Location:

Describe the documents and/or materials you would like to submit:

I/we can send the following:

I/we cannot send materials but will provide an image:

Suggestions for other participants:

We would like to co-sponsor the exhibition:

For More Information:

MIKE ALEWITZ
Associate Professor
Artistic Director, Labor Art & Mural Project

Art Department/ Central CT State University
1615 Stanley Street/ New Britain, CT  06050