[Marxism] Stan Goff on anorexia

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Sun Nov 26 16:18:50 MST 2006

Louis Proyect wrote:
> http://stangoff.com/?p=420

one interesting bit from this is his being trained as a barefoot doctor
within 12 months:

    One of the interesting things I learned as a soldier was that health
    (now called medicine as it has become specialized) is something most
    people can learn. Special Forces includes among its military
    occupational specialties the SF Medic. That was my specialty before
    I was promoted out of it. I went to school for a year to learn it.
    Special Forces has to operate remotely, so the SF Medic has to learn
    a good deal more than the average Band-Aid-and-Motrin medic. At the
    end of that year, I knew field sanitation, differential diagnosis,
    nursing modalities, trauma protocols, basic obstetrics, the
    prevention and treatment of a host of the most common diseases,
    rustic anesthesia and surgery, and a bit of veterinary medicine. I
    pulled teeth for chicken dinners in Honduras. I caught nine babies
    at Claremore Indian Hospital. I helped remove shrapnel from an
    abdomen in Venezuela. I saved a horse in Ferrier, Haiti. On and on…
    but the point is, I didn’t have to attend eight years of medical
    training, and I never required a multi-million dollar facility to
    treat helminths in Panama or Shigella in East Africa.

Les