[Marxism] The MIM on anorexia

La Sainte lasainte at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 26 18:04:25 MST 2006

-----Original Message-----

People are overlooking other bizarre dietary practices by upper and middle class women during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, mostly in eastern North America and Britain. The one I am most familiar with was the deliberate avoidance of any foods high in iron, along with avoidance of the sun, to achieve the highly prized alabaster skin. The healthy, outdoorsy look was out, and considered very unfeminine. The anemic, hot house fragile-flower look was in, a sign of true femininity. And it wasn't confined to young women. It was practiced by women of all ages.

Cherie